Saturday, February 14, 2009

Changing the Palette

As we flew over mountains I had no name for, I noticed splotches of gold that were strange to me. They seemed to be randomly scattered across otherwise barren slopes. It took me a moment to realize that those vibrant patches of gold were trees, their leaves brilliant with the color of fall.
It occurred to me that such a technicolor spectacle was nature’s own splendid costuming for the season’s finale. As if to say, “You thought the green was nice, well get a load of this!”

I wish I could be like that – so unselfconscious that I would cease to clothe myself in the grays and khakis of safety and the familiar. How lovely it would be to embrace the vibrant, variegated colors that the artist Divine has chosen for my personal palette. Oh, to say to the world - unafraid of comment or consequence, "You thought the old me was good, just wait till you get a load of this!"